Specially Designed Sieve Solves Effluent Problem
Since 90% of the effluent is relatively pure water that is used only to cool canned foods, it can be returned to the groundwater in a 10 acre drainage lot. The other 10%, however, is used to clean pickling vats and other equipment used to produce pickles, pickle relish and sauerkraut, the company's major products. Particulates in this dilute brine water include pickle scraps , sauerkraut strands, and matter, which has to be removed from the effluent or it will clog the dry wells or decompose in them, causing further problems.
The original filtration system proved inadequate frequently blinding and requiring maintenance. So a Kason Cross-Flo® sieve of48 inch width was installed to take the flow and quantity of particulates. The unit solved the blinding problem because it could handle the high-capacity flow. The slope of the deck can be manually adjusted to accommodate the size, type, and density of particulate being separated. High capacity is achieved with an extended acceleration deck that orients fibers in the direction of the flow. And the sloped screen deck is composed of profile wires.
The cleaned water then is directed to 4 foot diameter by 20 foot deep, perforated concrete-lined dry wells. The sanitary waste is sent to the local disposal system.
Screen Tips - Volume 2, Number 2 July 1987