TECHNICAL LIBRARY

 

Specially-Designed Sieve Solves Effluent Problem

A pickle and sauerkraut processor needed a way to dispose of food processing effluent. Several alternatives were considered. But the company finally decided to use a specially designed sieve to remove particulates from up to 100,000 gallons per day of effluent.

Since 90 percent of the effluent is relatively pure water that is used only to cool canned foods, it can be returned to the ground water table in a 10-acre drainage lot. The other 10 percent, however, is used to clean up pickling vats and other equipment used to produce pickles, pickle-relish and sauerkraut, the company's major products. Particulates in this dilute brine water include Sieve removes sauerkraut and pickle scraps, sauerkraut strands pickle scraps from effluent or it will clog the dry-wells or decompose in them, causing further problems.

The original filtration system proved inadequate, frequently blinding and requiring maintenance. So a Kason Cross-Flo® sieve of 48 in. width was installed to take the flow and quantity of particulates. The unit solved the blinding problem because it could handle the high capacity flow. The slope of the deck can be manually adjusted to accommodate the size, type and density of particulate being separated. High capacity is achieved with an extended acceleration deck that orients fibers in the direction of the flow. And the sloped screen deck is composed of profile wires.

The cleaned water then is directed to 4-foot diameter by 20 foot deep, perforated-concrete lined dry wells. The sanitary waste is sent to the local disposal system.

Information is offered by Kason corp.